It started after a discussion with Sankarshan, Rahul and Kushal. We needed a system (a web application) to manage student projects. Google Summer of Code was using this framework called Melange. So I was thinking in the lines of developing a similar application using Ruby on Rails, which could be used by Fedora Summer Coding program or similar programs like the DGPLUG Summer Training.
I thought it up as in idea for this year's Fedora Summer Coding. But then I thought maybe I could start up on the project and develop some existing funtionality, so that the student coding on it would have an idea of what's in the books and get something to start on. Maybe add some new features or something.
I have been developing it for the past three weeks. I have some code which I have hosted on GitHub.
Here us a list of the features the web application currently has:
* Authentication of three different types of users:
0. Guest user (unauthenticated user)
* Project listing and About page available to unauthenticated user.
* User listing.
* User profile with information about project activities.
* Mentors and Students able to add project ideas.
* Mentors can volunteer to mentor a project of their choice.
* Project proposers and mentors can edit project ideas.
* Project proposers can delete project ideas without any mentor.
* Admin can add/edit/delete all projects.
Proposals from students
* Students able to submit proposals for all projects.
* Students able to edit proposals.
* A user dashboard having current logged-in users project activities.
A lot more work needs to be done. I will soon create a task list for Fedora Summer Coding.
If you are a students who wants to work on FSoC as a part of Fedora Summer Coding follow guidelines mentioned in the wiki.
FSoC is liscenced under GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE version 3.
Posted from GScribble.